Wednesday, December 7, 2011

{WIP} Helm

Hello friends! Going back to work has massively cut into my knitting time...not cool, not cool at all.  But, I'm pleased to present you all with a new WIP! 

I just started on Stephen West's Helm this week.  I'm changing things up a bit folks.  As you all know I usually tend to make my hats using the Magic Loop method...and word on the street is this hat is very confusing using that method...so I will be using a US 5 16" circular and switch to the magic loop once I start the decreases.

String Theory Yarn
But right now those decreases seem a long ways away...for you see, I'm learning something new with this hat.  And that is short rows.  West utilizes these short rows to create a "subtle ear flap" and man, do I almost wish I could just pick up stitches and add an ear flap a la the Gnomey Ga-Nomey Hat.  My first attempt I did about 7 rounds before I finally realized that maybe it wasn't looking the way it was supposed to be looking - I had holes and I was also adding increases.  One would think I would Youtube how to do a short row in the round before starting a project...but nah. I'm a cool knitter kid now, I know what's what.  ... Not. So. Much.  Apparently those wonky wrapped stitches that occur during the Wrap & Turns get knit or purled together...not treated as two stitches. Oops.

It hurt me to do so but I frogged all the way and re-did it, and it looks so much better already!  It's a tough project to work on during the commute because of the amount of counting that goes on, but we'll see...I want to get as much done this week as I can. I'm way behind on my holiday knitting!


10 comments:

  1. I hate frogging but I think it was worth it to get your hat looking just right :) Love the yarn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use videos online all the time! I've learned most of my knitting that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour! I do enjoy projects that teach you new skills, sounds like you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate frogging, but am always so much happier once things are fixed up. Awesome color -- looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate frogging! It makes me feel silly, because I know I did something wrong. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes I just keep going. But I'm sure you'll be glad you fixed it in the long run! Nice color red you're using :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to get ahead of myself too but good for you for learning a new technique! Lovely yarn colour! And isn't EVERYONE behind on their Christmas knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love short rows. They seem so magical to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frogging is such a pain and so frustrating but if it makes the project look even better once you redo it, it doesn't seem so bad after all :) I just hate when I have to re-frog things because I get them messed up multiple times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, Helm is a great choice for a hat. Love Stephen West! Short rows can be very tricky until you get used to knitting them. There are many different types and it just takes trial and error to be happy with what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your support! I finished the short rows and did the two set up rounds tonight...cables tomorrow!

    I am loving this yarn. It is so vibrant and squishy and just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy