Saturday, September 24, 2011

FO: Maid Marian Portland Cowl

 Another Christmas present can be crossed off my list.  This was a very quick knit, in that it only took me two days to do.  It was all seed stitch....my favorite! Might I remind you all of the seed stitch baby blanket of doom never-ending seed stitch?  

For the Marian cowl, I cast on very loosely so that I would get a good stretch to it.  I bound off loosely as well, but not as loosely as I thought it would have been - the bind off edge is  little tight...but it wears well, so hopefully it won't be a problem.  I've never worn a cowl before, so I'm not sure how they work exactly.

The pattern called for an optional twist to make it a mobius, and I opted to not do it. Mostly because I forgot to intentionally twist the first stitch and I always chant in my head "Do Not Twist" when joining in the round.  I think if I knit another one, I might add the twist.   This was also the first project I've knit in the round NOT using the magic loop method. 


Not my favorite photo of me..



Maid Marian Portland Cowl Project Details:
Pattern: Marian by Jane Richmond 
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn De Aire in Portland
Needles: US 19 circular
Gifty: My Aunt Mary Ann
 

7 comments:

  1. That yarn looks really chunky, is it doubled? I do love the colour though ;)

    My knitting dwells mostly in the fingering weight realm so I'm not familiar with chunky brands. I'm gonna check out Plymouth Yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a super bulky & single stranded :) It's very squishy and soft. Once you go chunky, you might not want to knit on fingering anymore lol...it's very instantly gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so snuggly :) I love knitting with chunky/bulky yarn - everything moves so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really adore the Marian cowl, I knitted one and despite how many scarves/shawls I have and adore, I end up wearing this one the most, and it's by far the most simple/fastest to knit! It's so comfy and goes with everything, I really love the color you chose for yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this post. I love the look of these things but I cannot wear them. If anything goes near my neck I freak out. I live in v-necks. It's sad. Love the hue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. Absolutely! the best solution rather than doing nothing and losing it at all. All your tips mentioned above is a great help though nice........I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks Portland Maid

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane Ricmond has a video to show you how to do the optional twist but doesn't show what go do with the stitches that twisted with the first one. I am so confused and have read others are. I just wish she had knitted further in the video.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy