Thursday, March 3, 2011

Feel the Burn

My scarf in progress is almost a foot long!  I am loving it. The yarn is so soft and thick.  Can't wait to wear it around my neck. 

I feel like I am getting initiated into the knitting community and soon will have permanent calluses to mark my membership.  I am fairly certain I am getting a round size 13 needle bruise on my tummy from where I anchor my working needle.  I am not sure if this is a common malady? I will have to have the life partner take a picture of me while knitting...action shot! But basically, I almost have the needles at a 90 degree angle...with the right one straight down on my belly when I am moving the stitch from the left to the right...and then I kind of dig in the right needle into my belly when I push down the stitches to make room.  I'm sure this will pass once I get more of a hang and groove going on.

Ah, and let's not forget my poor right pointer finger which I stab repeatedly when trying to shove the left stitch off the needle to the right.  And my left wrist is starting to feel the burn.

Whine. Whine. Whine. 

But honestly, I love each little pain, and I know my hands will get used to it. Reminds me of that Simpson's episode where Marge teaches Lisa how to sew a quilt and she holds the flame of a lighter up to her finger and doesn't feel anything.  

3 comments:

  1. oooh you have inspired me to want to knit lol..I can knit a scarf...but thats about it!! Would love to get a little more adventurous!! And love the simpsons analogy...I remember that scene!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new layout Amy. Very nicely done. You make me think of my mom knitting when I was young. I used to know how. Maybe I should relearn it. You've peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bec and Kim <3

    Knitting is a fun (albeit frustrating) project for me. I'm not very hand eye coordinated, and I have a tendency to curse out my yarn and needles but it's been a good time so far...especially since I actually have something growing!

    My grandma crocheted. And I remember her trying to teach me when I was little, but I never got the hang of it. Mayhap I will eventually try to take it up and crochet an afghan in her memory.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Amy